The temps may have increased (for now) so enjoy the warmer weather (and less strain on your heaters) while you can! But there are still more than two months left of winter and you never know what mother nature is going to send our way. As we brace the cold, cold winter this year you may see spikes in your energy usage.
To minimize the impact of the cold weather on your energy consumptions, for my third and final Learn Conserve Challenge as an NRG Brand Ambassador, I, along with my fellow energy-saving bloggers, have been challenged with incorporating some these easy energy saving practices into my daily life. These simple energy saving changes can make a huge difference month-to-month, not only today but all year long.
1. Rotate your fans clockwise, which pushes the warm air back down.
2. Wash your clothes in all cold water. When using the dryer, run multiple loads at a time. The heat will build up and not need as much electricity. Also, use the cool-down cycle to allow clothes to finish drying with the remaining heat in the dryer.
3. Replace your bulbs with energy-efficient lighting (that’s where that gift card will come handy!)
4. Turn off lights when not in a room, not at home or at night
5. If you haven’t done so yet, by installing your Nest Learning Thermostat will make a big difference in your energy consumption without having to think about it!
We installed our NEST Learning Thermostat last month and we’ve been able to track our energy usage through these easy reports via NEST. It’s definitely decreased from last year at this time! This is incredible given how cold the winter has been, right? And amazingly enough, our monthly energy bill gone down, too. I don’t know for sure if this is a result of the NEST Learning Thermostat or the other simple easy energy savings tips we’ve used this winter but we’re thrilled. This has been a great challenge to be involved in as we’ve learned some fantastic tips for keeping our home heated more efficiently and saving money too!
And now one lucky Phillyfun4kids reader has the chance to win their own Learn and Conserve energy savings kit complete with a NEST Learning Thermostat (Value $249) and a $25 giftcard.
To enter, simply fill out the Rafflecopter form below. Giveaway ends on Tuesday January 21st at 11:59pm EST. Good luck!!
Disclosure: This post was created in connection with my appointment as a NRG Residential Solutions Ambassador. NRG Residential Solutions provided me with a NEST Learning Thermostat ($249 value) as well as gift cards to a Home Improvement store to help purchase energy saving tools and products. NRG Residential Solutions has also providing one lucky phillyfun4kids reader with their very own NEST Learning Thermostat and gift cards to a Home Improvement store as well (YAY!). As always, all opinions expressed about finding ways to heat your home more efficiently and putting cash back in your wallets being beyond awesome are our own.